Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, even in Home Depot, everyone is jumping on the DIY train and honestly, I love it!
Most of my DIY's until a few months ago were home improvements projects. Building my own raised bed gardens, created a beautiful California closet, even helping my husband build a recycled metal pipe handrail for our staircase!
In the past few months, I've successfully managed to change all of my household cleaning products to DIY cleaners like dish soap, laundry detergent, and general cleaner. I have been learning more and more about different ingredients and essentials oils you can use as cleaning agents instead of the more "traditional" cleaners, like the ones listed below, that are full of toxins and chemicals.
I decided to make this change because store bought cleaners like Clorox, Lysol, Windex, Pledge, Mr. Clean, the like, are all FULL of harmful, detrimental, even carcinogenic chemicals. Many contain harmful chemicals like...
1. Bleach (damage to organs, eyes, and lungs)
2. Ammonia (irritates eyes and lungs)
3. Phenol and Cresol (if ingested can cause diarrhea, fainting, or even kidney damage)
4. Formaldehyde (used as a perservative and is a carcinogen)
These are just a FEW of the chemicals found in these dangerous household cleaners. The list goes on...Check out the EPA website if you are interested in learning more about these harmful chemicals.
Every time I use these products they make me feel bad. They smell awful, irritate my throat and eyes, and definitely pushed me to look for healthier, cleaner alternatives. This is where my DIY recipes came in...
I thought I'd share some of my recipes for ya'll that are inspired to start your own DIY cleaning product journey. Enjoy! (PSA: During the unprecedented Coronavirus pandemic please be aware that these DIY cleaners should not be prioritized over stronger cleaners).
General Household Cleaner:
If the smell of vinegar is too strong for you or you dislike the smell of vinegar, I recommend you infuse other ingredients, like thyme, rosemary, clove, or orange peels into the vinegar to reduce the strong smell of the vinegar. Here's how:
Instructions to Dilute Vinegar:
1. Peel the lemons/oranges and mix with the thyme or rosemary and place into a jar.
2. Add the vinegar and let it sit for up to 2 weeks.
3. After two weeks, strain out the citrus and herbs from the vinegar and discard of them (compost them if you can!)
4. Transfer the vinegar (1/2 cup) to whatever bottle you are choosing to use (we suggest an amber color glass spray botle)
5. Dilute the vinegar with the water and soap in the recipe above.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner:
Combine all into a bottle...shake,shake,shake, then lastly, add the baking soda, stir, and voila!
Dish Washing Soap:
1. Boil water
2. Add the grated Castile soap to boiling water and stir until completely dissolved.
3. Add washing soda and stir.
4. Add liquid Castile soap and stir.
5. Let mixture sit for 10-15 minutes, then add your choice of essential oils.
6. Transfer to soap dispenser.